Escape the Pina Colada Song- Rupert Holmes

This is the song we love to hate. It's a sappy tale of a husband planning to cheat on his wife by placing a personals ad. He then discovers his perfect match, the ad's respondent, is his own "lovely lady."

I was tired of my lady 
We'd been togehter too long 
Like a worn-out recording 
Of a favorite song. 
So while she lay there sleeping 
I read the paper in bed 
And in the personal columns 
There was this letter I read: 

"If you like Pina Coladas 
And getting caught in the rain, 
If you're not into yoga 
If you have half a brain, 
If you'd like making love at midnight 
In the dunes of the Cape, 
Then I'm the love you've looked for: 
Write to me and escape." 

I didn't think about my lady 
I know I sound kind of mean 
But me and my old lady 
Have fallen into the same old dull routine. 
So I wrote to the paper 
Took out a personal ad 
And though I'm nobody's poet 
I thought it wasn't half-bad: 

"Yes I like Pina Coladas 
And getting caught in the rain, 
I'm not much into health food, 
I am into champagne. 
I've got to meet you by tomorrow noon 
And cut through all this red-tape 
At a bar called O'Malley's 
Where we'll plan out escape." 

So I waited with high hopes 
And she walked into the place 
I knew her smile in an instant 
I knew the curve of her face 
It was my own lovely lady 
And she said, "Oh, it's you" 
Then we laughed for a moment 
And I said, "I never knew." 

That you like Pina Coladas 
Getting caught in the rain 
And the feel of the ocean 
And the taste of champagne 
If you'd like making love at midnight 
In the dunes of the Cape 
You're the lady I've looked for 
Bhedaghat, Madhya Pradesh

Comments